03 February 2008

On the Mend

Greetings Friends!

I know it's been a while since the last update, but I had surgery on 29 Jan. and have been pretty much confined to my bed for the past five days. Don't worry, though. It was minor surgery -- bunion repair on my left foot. The surgeon is very pro-active, and yesterday I was already putting a little pressure on the foot while it was protected in this giant ski-boot-looking device.

That said, prior to the procedure, I baked and cooked like mad to prepare for when I wouldn't be able to stand for any length of time. I also didn't want to stress out my dear husband who has been such a saint taking care of me.

While I baked, I filmed nearly all the recipes, so now I have a small stockpile of them to share with you while I'm recuperating. While most of them come from the King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion, there is one for cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World. So far, my favorites are the Speculaas from KAFCC. But, I will extol their virtues when I post about the recipe and my alterations to it.

I'll be posting the new recipes here and there in the coming weeks. I hope you'll enjoy them!

Aside from tasting a cookie or two here and there, I've been on a very strict, low-calorie, low-fat, high-fiber diet to keep my weight steady (and possibly lose a pound or two) while I'm not active at all. So far, so good.

Last, but not least, go Giants! I'm not a big sports fan (although I very happily watched a fencing tournament from my bed a few days ago), but I do root for the underdog. Hope you enjoy your Superbowl Sunday.

No comments: