24 January 2008

Altering Martha's Rugelach



These wrapped cookies filled with peach spread, carob chips, walnuts and cinnamon were very easy (and messy!) to make. I just followed the recipe for Rugelach in the Martha Stewart Baking Handbook, substituting agave nectar for the sugar, no-sugar added peach spread for the apricot jelly, and carob chips for the chocolate chips. I also used 1/3 cup of coconut flour (sifted) for 1/3 cup of the ap flour. I baked them at 300 degrees F for a bit longer than the recipe suggested, but they were light, flaky and very tasty!

One of the reasons why I adore Martha Stewart recipes is that they are so well tested. This means that there is enough "give" in a recipe that you can noodle around with it significantly without ending up with a big mess or waste.

These rugelach didn't physically resemble the pastry of my youth, but they were so good that I almost didn't bring them to a party, wishing to keep them for myself. I over-stuffed them, but the result was fine. At the party, there was so much food and so many desserts that I did wind up taking a few home. They didn't last long!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deb, these look absolutely amazing! I am not usually a fan of rugelach, but these look so good I am going to have to make an exception. The combo of peach/carob (or chocolate) sounds wonderful. Great photo, too!

Deb Schiff said...

Thanks, Ricki! They turned out much better than I thought they would. Nice how that works sometimes!