01 December 2008

Veganized and Agave-Sweetened Baklava

From Vegan Baklava


Turns out, I was able to contribute to Thanksgiving after all. As you can read (and see) on Here and There, I've had a functioning kitchen for a week now.

One of the recipes I didn't get to make during my Making Over Martha month was baklava. First, I wanted to use agave nectar as the sweetener, and second, I wanted to veganize it. Both were tall orders, but I was able to produce a more-than-edible dessert for Mom's Thanksgiving.

I made significant changes the recipe, but you can find the original in the November 2008 issue of Everyday Food magazine under Cinnamon-Walnut Baklava. Here's how I made it.

Veganized Baklava

Yields 24 pieces.

Ingredients:

1 stick Earth Balance buttery spread
1 1/2 cups agave nectar
1 1/2 cups water
Juice of 1 lemon
3 cups walnuts finely chopped
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 package vegan phyllo dough

Directions:

1. Use a small portion of the Earth Balance to butter a 13 x 9 in. baking dish. Melt the remaining Earth Balance.
2. Whisk together the agave nectar, water, and lemon juice in a saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Let cool.
3. In a large bowl, combine the walnuts and the cinnamon. Mix well.
4. Cut the phyllo dough so that it will fit the baking dish. Keep the sheets covered by a damp paper or cloth towel.
5. Place one sheet in the dish and using a pastry brush, lightly (this is important!) brush the sheet with the melted spread. Lay another two sheets on top, then spread a coating of nuts and cinnamon on top, cover with another sheet and brush that sheet with the melted spread. Repeat the pattern until the nuts are finished. Finally, top the baklava with a top sheet of dough and lightly brush the top with the spread.
6. While this may seem a little counter-intuitive, cut the baklava into squares before baking it for 30 minutes, until golden brown.
7. Transfer the dish to a wire rack and immediately pour the agave nectar mixture over the baklava. It will sizzle a lot. Let the baklava stand for at least 3 hours before serving.

From Vegan Baklava

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...this looks amazing! Does it keep well? If I wanted to make it and give it as a gift, would it keep for say, 1 week? How do you store it?

Thanks!
Courtney

Deb Schiff said...

Hi Courtney,

I stored it at room temperature in a lock and lock airtight container for a few days. I'm not sure I'd give it as a gift after 3 days. Try it first and see how you like it before giving it as a gift. :D

You might consider giving my granola as a gift in a nice container: http://alteredplates.blogspot.com/2008/10/spicy-nutty-seedy-agave-sweetened.html. It stays really well and is a huge hit with all granola lovers.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! The granola sounds like a great idea--maybe I will do that for gifts instead.

Thanks again! I love your blog and really appreciate all of your postings!

Courtney

Deb Schiff said...

Thank YOU, Courtney! You're the ginchiest!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the article. I use agave in all sorts of dishes, cakes and even drinks. I started with small bottles and now buy gallons at a time.
The last few times I ordered it online at Whole And Natural.com. They have all sizes at very reasonable prices and ship fast.

Healthy Holidays to all,
Debby

Deb Schiff said...

Thanks, Debby. That's a very handy tip!

Erndog said...

Baklava has to be one of my all-time favorite desserts. Alas...me and phyllo are NOT fast friends. I just don't seem to have the patience. Looking at the silver lining, this just means that I don't end up eating whole dishes of baklava by myself in one sitting! :-)
~erin