18 December 2008

Love Letter to a Vegan Carob Cake Baker

From Love Letter to a Carob Cake Baker


I'd baked this cake:

From Vegan Carob Cake


for Ken and Tanya who visited a couple of weeks ago, but had about that much left over. So, I took this very rich, moist, and surprisingly low fat vegan carob cake with me to the co-op so that other folks could enjoy it.

I wrote the note on the left side of the first photo: "Hi! I'm a vegan carob layer cake with yummy carob fudge frosting. Made with agave nectar + love. Please enjoy me + please save the container for Deb. Thanks!"

From Vegan Carob Cake


When I returned for my next shift, the following love letter was left for me:

"Deb Schiff
Thank you for the amazing cake and the yummy baklava [which I'd left on another, previous shift]. It brightened our days and filled our tummies with yummy healthy goodness. You make us forget that it's sometimes difficult to be vegan. We wish there were more bakers like you.
Love,
Melissa and Stephanie
P.S. Keep up the good work!"

I nearly cried. OK, I got downright misty. Makes it all worthwhile, really.

The cake took a crazy amount of time to make, but I'd make it all over again for those very appreciative young ladies.

I promise to publish the recipe as I made it soon. I just wanted to share that with you because it means so much to me. My wish for you, my fellow bakers and cooks, is that you get as much love back for your treats as I have. I'm an incredibly fortunate person.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

How great--and what a lift it must have been to get that note! The cake looks terrific--can't wait for the recipe!

Deb Schiff said...

Thanks, Ricki!

Amy said...

Awww what a sweet note! And yum, that cake looks incredible!

Deb Schiff said...

Thanks!

Erndog said...

Deb, that cake looks just downright amazing. Post that recipe soon!
This from a gal that has neglected her blog for waaaaay too long. :-)

Deb Schiff said...

You bet!

Anonymous said...

No wonder they were happy, that cake looks beautiful!

Just a note - I think there is a similar type recipe I recall over at Domestic Affair blog.

Deb Schiff said...

Thanks, Alisa!

I'll go check it out.