20 June 2008

Great Craters of Almond and Raspberry Joy



In honor of Michael Ruhlman's pronouncement that Baking with Agave Nectar by Ania Catalano is a "book worth reading and using," I made another recipe from the book.

The cookies above are found on page 21 of her book, under the title "Raspberry Linzer Torte Cookies." The folks at the George Street Co-op's Outreach Committee said many complimentary things about them, however none of them said the cookies reminded them of linzer anything.



Most of the samplers remarked that the texture was appealing -- crumbly and soft. They also had lovely things to say about the fruit-sweetened raspberry spread I used from Trader Joe's. Because it's a nice little vegan recipe with only 7 ingredients, and because it's done completely in the food processor, I'd bet the raw folks could easily make it in a dehydrator. I went the traditional route and baked them for 12 minutes.

Because I didn't make any alterations to the recipe (other than toasting the almonds prior to processing them), I won't list it here. Instead, I'll encourage you to order the book, especially since it's only $10.85 new on Amazon.com. I agree with Ruhlman, it's well worth the money.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd been waffling about whether or not to order it. . . I think I will likely go for it now!

Deb Schiff said...

:) Mmmmm. Waffles...

Amy said...

Deb, I've been thinking about buying this book for a while now. These look so delicious I might just have to break down and do it (not that I need another book, but I really would love some more ideas on the best uses of agave).

Your dietary restrictions sounds similar to mine (which reminds me of a post I've been meaning to do for a while...). I'll definitely be checking back here often!

Deb Schiff said...

Hi Amy,
Thanks for visiting! Glad you like my blog and that you'll buy Ania's book. It's definitely worth the low price.