15 July 2008

Shameless Self-Promotion and a Small Kitchen Fire

Every once in a while, I post something at Here and There worth parroting here. That said, last week I had a harrowing experience with my stove in which I was slightly electrocuted and the thing started a small electrical fire.

After the smoke cleared and John disconnected the power from the wall and pulled the knobs off the range so that we wouldn't mistakenly turn the gas back on, I could go to sleep without worrying too much. However, when the repairman came, he deemed the stove to be "unrepairable." Because we have a home warranty (which I highly recommend, by the way), a new stove will be coming to replace the old one very soon.

Yesterday, a friend and I were talking about poetry and the writing of it. It inspired me so much that I had a dream about a poem -- an ode, if you will, to the errant stove. While I admit it was better in the dream, what spilled from my head into my fingers and onto my computer monitor is this at Here and There).


Ricki said...

That sounds like quite the ordeal! Poor you. Glad to hear that it was only a SLIGHT electrocution and you're okay!

PS Very cute poem :)

Deb Schiff said...

Thank you very much! Glad to have survived the shocking experience. It was more frightening than anything else.

Overall, it's pretty much the course of things since I bought this place 5 years ago. Thanks to the home warranty, for the price of the annual fee and a $55 service charge, over the years, I've replaced the dishwasher, garbage disposal, ceiling fan, and two toilet flushing assemblies. In addition, we had a pipe leak, bad wiring, and now the evil stove. Although, I think the stove's always been evil.

Glad you liked the poem. It was fun to write.

Anonymous said...

I only wish my stove would go kaput. My husband swears we're going to buy new appliances and re-do our kitchen, but I'll believe it when I see it! Enjoy your new stove! I hope it is all you hope it will be and more!

Deb Schiff said...

Thanks, Jenny!