29 May 2008

Mmmmmmmango Sorbet!



This absolutely simple and delicious sorbet is another remake from David Lebovitz's The Perfect Scoop. After trying several of the recipes from his frozen dessert book, I am now convinced he can do no wrong.

This sorbet is wonderfully smooth and tangy from both the mango and freshly squeezed lime juice. It's completely vegan, so have at it, my vegan friends.

While I usually prefer creamy frozen desserts, I can now say this mango sorbet tops my list of lovely light sweets to end a meal.

I didn't veer too afield of David's original recipe when I made it except for the following alterations:

1. I halved it,
2. I used frozen mango cubes from Trader Joe's (definitely worth it!),
3. I used agave nectar instead of sugar,
4. I used a LOT more lime juice, and
5. I omitted the rum and the salt.

Here's the recipe as I made it:

Ingredients:

1 1-lb package of frozen, cubed mango
Scant 1/2 cup agave nectar
1/3 cup filtered, very cold water
The juice of 2 limes

Directions:

1. Use a blender to puree the mango until smooth. (I used an immersion blender, and it worked like a charm.)
2. Blend in the remaining ingredients until well mixed.
3. Chill overnight in the refrigerator.
4. Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

This is what mine looked like fresh out of the Kitchen Aid ice cream maker attachment. I couldn't resist tasting just a small amount.



5. Pack the sorbet into small containers for single-serving, mango-loving experiences. It should make 5-6 ramekin-sized servings.

Please go visit David's blog for great information about living in and visiting Paris. He has such a great take on life, food, and culture.

No comments: