21 October 2007

Cherry Lime Bread



I've made a few of Nic's great recipes before, but this one is probably my new favorite of her baked stylings. I made a few alterations to her original recipe beyond substituting agave nectar for sugar. But, like her experience, this quick bread far exceeded my expectations (and those of a few friends who served as tasters for this recipe).

Zesting the limes was fun. The kitchen smelled fresh, and I had the opportunity to use my favorite tools (my Global utility knife and my Microplane grater).



Interestingly, the frozen cherries were hard for the tasters to discern as cherries. However, the recipe proved flexible enough to use different fruits, so I might just try it with peaches next time. This soft, tasty bread is excellent alone or spread with whipped cream cheese (I enjoy Temptee).

Here's the recipe as I made it:

Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1 cup agave nectar
1 1/2 tablespoon lime zest
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup frozen cherries

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 325 and butter a 9 x 5 in. loaf pan.
2. Mix together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
3. Mix together the wet ingredients in a large bowl.
4. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just blended.



5. Fold in the cherries.



6. Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, covered with foil for the first 20 minutes.



A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean when it's done. It should be golden brown (not quite as brown as the one below).



7. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before serving.



By the way, this quick bread also makes a great host/hostess gift, especially if you're spending the night. Bring along some spreads, and you'll be the life of the party!

No comments: