07 November 2007

Rich, Cashew Carob Cookies



I've been having so much fun lately visiting the wonderful vegan and gluten-free bloggers. Their blogs have great recipes, and they are warm and friendly people. One one of my favorite vegan blogs, Have Cake, Will Travel! had a tasty recipe for carob peanut butter cookies that looked like it would be a good candidate for my kind of tinkering. It was a good guess because the resulting cookies were rich and fudgy.

Next time I make them, I'd probably substitute coconut flour for the barley flour, adding a bit more oil to compensate for the dryness of the coconut flour. Other than that, I can't think of another change.

Here are the alterations I made when I used the recipe:
1. Agave nectar for maple syrup (and I cut it by 1 tablespoon)
2. Cut the oil by 1 tablespoon
3. Used cashew butter for peanut butter
4. Used unsweetened carob chips
5. Baked at 325 degrees F at the same timing in the original.

If you make these, be careful to take the cookies out before you think they're done. That way, they stay fudgy and slightly chewy. My cookies did not spread. In fact, when I used a cookie scoop and didn't push down the top of the cookie, they stayed in the scooped shape.



The scooped cookies crumbled a bit, but the tamped-down version (shown in the top photo) didn't. I was really pleased with these cookies and definitely intend to make them again (with continued, minor alterations). I also thought the addition of chopped, dried apricots might be really interesting.

Here's a shot of the innards:



The cashew butter is so lovely, but I wonder how these would be with tahini? What do you think?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

lovely! I can't vouch for the tahini sub because I'm not a fan of the stuff, but I'm sure that for those who like it it'd turn out great.

Anonymous said...

PS: I added a note re: the fact those cookies should be flattened prior to baking. forgot about that.

Deb Schiff said...

Thanks, Celine. Love your blog! I think I might give it a try soon for a party. Will let all know how it turns out.

Deb Schiff said...

That's mighty kind of you. Thanks!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

as THE #1 fan of carob, I can't tell you enough how scrumptious these cookies look, deb - yum!! not sure how the tahini would taste in these cookies... I'd stick with the cashew-butter.

Deb Schiff said...

Gee, VG. I might just give you a run for your money on being the #1 fan of carob. ;D

Have you seen my brownies???

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

no I haven't!! I'm going to search for them now, on your blog!! I eat carob almost everyday (5-6 times were week) - beat that ;0P

Deb Schiff said...

OK, VG. You definitely win on quantity. :)

I usually get carob cravings about once a month, if you get my drift.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I don't see any vegan brownie recipes :0( but I could easily veganize them I bet!

Deb Schiff said...

That's probably true! While I love vegans, vegan food and cooking in a vegan way, I ceased being a vegan a few years ago.

What I can recommend is using the beany brownie recipe with Earth Balance instead of the butter, as well as egg substitute for the eggs. Although there are 6 eggs! Good luck!

Tara said...

These look delicious. Thank you for letting me know about your blog.

Deb Schiff said...

Thanks, Tara!

Unknown said...

I can't wait to make those. Those look so so good. I am going to attempt to make your pie for Thanksgiving and I am forwarding your blog to some of my friends that like to eat healthy!

Deb Schiff said...

Thanks, Staci! That's awesome! Hope you have a wonderful holiday. :D