19 August 2007

Coconut Green Pie



A few weeks ago, I reworked a great vegan recipe from Dr. Mary Martin for Coconut Cream Pie. I didn't make a huge number of changes, but I (gasp!) deveganized the recipe by adding an egg instead of using so much arrowroot.

Speaking of arrowroot, the filling tasted way too arrowrooty, so I added 1/2 cup of agave to it. If I made this again, I'd save half the crust to make cookies, since she warns at the beginning of the recipe that there would be a lot left over.

Finally, other than the typical agave nectar substitution I make for the sweeteners, I used brown rice flour for the spelt flour in the pie crust.

I didn't get to taste them both together since the pie wasn't actually served at the party it was taken to that day. However, I tried them separately prior to putting it together, and Mom took the photo above when she tried it.

Recommendations: less arrowroot, add vanilla extract/paste, bake the crust as cookies and do something else, maybe a mousse with the filling served with a cookie on the side. Overall, though, it's a pretty tasty and colorful combination.

Here's a short film of my efforts. Hope you enjoy it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I made it again recently with NO arrowroot at all and it was perfect! Glad you enjoyed it!

Deb Schiff said...

Thanks for the note, Mary! So glad you came to visit. I'll definitely try it without the arrowroot next time.

Anonymous said...

Check this out--Make filling minus arrowroot, use vanilla extract instead, put in pretty glasses to set, and in a couple of minutes, sprinkle dark chocolate (or carob or whatever) chips in so they set throughout. To make each serving less fattening--USE SMALL GLASSES (heh).

:)

Deb Schiff said...

Thanks, Mary! What a great suggestion! A lovely, colorful dessert at the end of a nice, healthy meal. A green mousse (or moose, as my husband would say).