01 July 2009

Crutching Around

Just thought I'd stop in and give you fine folks an update on how things are. Also, I'd like to formally thank everyone for their kind thoughts and wishes. You people are just lovely.

Yesterday, I finally went back into the non-doctor-visit world and made my way to the museum for the internship. My supervisor and all the folks in the Registrar's office were super-helpful and very understanding. They even set me up at a low table so I could stay off my feet and handle the smaller artworks at the same time. So far, I've been focusing on condition reporting, but when I'm up and about, I'll be packing these pieces up to send to the N.J. Historical Society.

I felt very badly because I had promised to bring in some vegan muffins for the folks at the Zimmerli, but was injured before I had the chance. Well, as Isa Chandra Moskowitz is my witness, they will get their muffins as soon as I'm able.

Everything at the internship went well until someone made a space out of the non-space next to the handicapped spot where had I parked (with my temp. handicapped permit, courtesy of Franklin Township and the foot doc). The guilty party did not have handicapped parking permits nor a handicapped license plate, and had parked so close to me that I had to walk on my injured foot to squeeze into my car. I should have left an angry note.

All that to say, one inconsiderate person out of many, many truly kind and thoughtful people isn't bad odds at all. When I say many, I mean the professors, students, and museum personnel who have gone way out of their way to help me get through doors, carry my back pack, and generally keep me company while I crutch my way along. Not to mention my dear Art Librarianship professor who sent me a very artistic "Get Well Soon" card.

In the meantime, I have two more new cookbooks to review (one I made a recipe from prior to the sidewalk swallowing my foot, so that will be coming soon, I promise!) and a stack of fiction to review for Amazon Vine (free books, friends, free books -- just review like mad on Amazon and they'll ask you to participate).

I'm still very sore and can't be on my left foot for long just yet (perhaps next week), but I'm trying to heal up because we're going out to visit John's parents in Utah at the end of this month. If you ever plan to get out to Utah, you must use this guide I saw last night. There's even a pizza joint that sells zeppoles with agave nectar!

Well, my friends, stay tuned for a review of Isa's new book, Vegan Brunch.

5 comments:

Alisa - Frugal Foodie said...

Oh no! Sorry to hear about your foot! I hope you recover quickly.

Ricki said...

Glad you're doing better! Hope you're back to regular running around soon. :)

Deb Schiff said...

Thanks, Alisa and Ricki! My hopes too! :)

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear that (most) people are being helpful and that you are doing a bit better! Take care of yourself!

Courtney

Deb Schiff said...

Thanks, Courtney. You're very sweet.