06 January 2008

And then Rich said, "This Tastes Like Tahiti."



Not long ago, I made Pineapple Right-Side-Up Cupcakes from "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World." While I didn't unveganize the cake, I did make a dairy-based frosting made from drained canned pineapple, unsweetened coconut, Neufchatel cheese, agave nectar and butter. It was delightful.

As far as my alterations to the original recipe go, I simply substituted 1/3 cup of coconut flour for 1/3 of the flour in the recipe in order to deal with the agave for sugar substitution. The success of the recipe can be judged by my friend Rich's reaction. He said, biting into a miniature cupcake topped with tasty coconut frosting, "This tastes like Tahiti."

Now there's a compliment!

I thought the cake was very sweet and pineapple-y, while moist. When I make this again, I plan to add a little baking powder to the recipe to give it a bit of lift. That ought to do it. The icing was tart, sweet and creamy all at the same time. When I make that again, I'd add a pinch of salt to take off the sweet edge a bit.

Recently I acquired some agar flakes, so next on my cupcake list are the Brooklyn vs. Boston Cream Pie Cakes. Mmmmmm. Can't wait!

2 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

they look and sound great!! sounds like your substitutions pleased Rich as well :0D

Deb Schiff said...

Thanks, VG! I'm definitely going to noodle with these again. Mom really enjoys pineapple and coconut, so I might try to work out a creamy filling as well.